MOTO Mail Order / Telephone Order
If you run a mail order business and accept credit cards over the telephone, you need a MOTO account. (MOTO = Mail Order Telephone Order). MOTO accounts gives your business the ability to accept credit cards when the customer and credit card are not physically present at the time of purchase. Another term used for this is card not present credit card processing.
New MOTO credit card processing options are available with a wide range of card processing equipment and software. Global Merchant Solutions offers a processing solution that’s just right for your business.
You will find useful MOTO credit card processing information in the links below that will help you to start credit card processing by phone and by mail order. As always, if you have further questions feel free to call us (404)205-0275
How MOTO Credit Card Processing Works
The model below describes how MOTO credit card processing works – step by step.
- The processing system connects to Global Merchant Solutions processor for authorization.
- The processor passes the sale information on to the bank that issued the credit card which checks to see that the card is valid and if the amount requested is available on the account.
- The issuing bank sends an approval number or a decline message back to the processor.
- The information is passed back to the processing system which gives the merchant the approval number and allows them to print a receipt for their records. It takes approximately 3-15 seconds to complete steps 2-5 on a traditional terminal or just a few seconds with a terminal or software connected to the internet.
- The merchant must “settle” their processing sales on a daily basis which begins the final process in the transactions. In most cases the credit card machines can be programmed to settle the account at a specified time each day (auto batch). The sales proceeds are then transferred from the card issuing bank and are electronically deposits into the merchant’s checking account. It typically takes two business days from the time of the original transaction for the funds to reach the merchant’s checking account.
For more information on merchant accounts or MOTO account call us or request a merchant account online and someone will call you back.
MOTO Credit Card Processing Tips
Tips on setting up your mail order and/or phone order credit card processing
- Most MOTO credit card processing accounts can be set up in a 48 hours but is still a good tip to start thinking about setting up your account a couple weeks before you plan on using it. The last thing you want to be worried about in the days before you open for business is whether or not your merchant account will be ready.
- Your local bank or other business whose primary focus is something besides credit card processing may not be the best option. While most merchants like the idea of doing business with their local bank or may initially be attracted to deceptive deals posed by wholesale chains, they often do not realize that these companies have little experience setting up MOTO merchant accounts. It is generally good advice to go directly to a company who specializes in MOTO Credit Card Processing like Global Merchant Solutions. This will usually save you both time and money, and ensure that you have the best equipment and service for your particular needs.
If you have further questions call us at (404)205-0275 or request a merchant account online.